Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Twin Cities Attractions: Lindstrom

Located just a short drive north of the Twin Cities, Lindstrom, or as it's officially known, Lindström.  It's a small town surrounded by lakes with an adorable tea kettle water tower, antique shops, and an incredible bakery.  Their motto is "America's Little Sweden," and it was settled in the late 1800s by Swedish immigrants.

Though I don't exactly know when that side of the family arrived, I do know that my paternal grandmother's family lived in the area in the 1920s.  Though my father is of Swedish descent on both sides, the traditions weren't part of our lives until my mother, brother, and I visited our relatives in Sweden that I became so interested in my heritage.  And truthfully, I know more about the family left in Sweden (great-great-great grandmother Albertina the musician with her umpteen children living next to the church in Vall) than I do about my paternal grandparents or the relatives I have here in Minnesota.  I have no idea how my grandparents met, where my grandmother grew up, her favorite subject in school.  But!  It was nice to be wandering around a nice quiet town on a fall day.  And eating donuts, of course.

IMG_4866

IMG_4863

IMG_4857

IMG_4860


IMG_4862

No comments: