Sunday, March 22, 2009

a lovely day.

...which I think I really needed.

9:02 am - wake up

9:30 am - have cereal with milk

9:45 am - shower

10:00 am - read design blogs while listening to Beirut

10:20 am - walk to Trader Joe's and shop---new food of the day = canned aloe. We'll see how it tastes, but needless to say, I'm excited.

11:25 am - take the shuttle back from Trader Joe's (a genius plan. It's a nice 20-25 minute walk, but it's killer on the way back home if you buy too much stuff...which I wanted to avoid)

11:30 am - get my gorgeous daffodils in water and put away groceries while chatting with Marie and her boyfriend from Berlin: he seems like such a nice guy!

11:55 am - eat some peanut butter on a spoon. Because it is delicious.

12:30 am - pick up tickets for the Boston Symphony on Thursday - Mahler 4 and Beethoven's violin concerto. I am thrilled.

12:45 am - find a book called "Herman the Brave Pig" at the Salvation army. I bought it for the grand total of 58 cents.

1:00 pm - find some lovely vases, a pretty teacup, and two ramekins at Goodwill...and two vintage blue suitcases from Space-Pack by Neevel ---two for $9! These will be cleaned up a bit and used in my room as a side table/storage.

1:15 pm - hmmm, I'm hungry. For frozen yogurt. Side trip to Shaws! ...and let's just say I looked ridiculous walking with those suitcases down the aisles.

1:30 pm - lunch --- how about corn...and then my berry risotto and frozen yogurt for dessert! capital!

2:30 pm - meet Johanna for her lunch at Four Burgers (she hadn't eaten yet)

3:30 pm - go to the craft fair with Johanna - it's in the Mason Lodge in Central Square...and it must have been quite the dance hall in it's day...now it's just kind of sad. She ended up buying a onesie for a friend that's having a baby that says "When two people love each other very much.." I bought a sky blue vintage dress (with a belt with a lucite buckle!) and a clay pendant by local artist Amy McClure...although I wanted to buy pretty much everything she had on display.

4:30 pm - attempt to find Alter Eco...fail. BUT we ended up on Commonwealth Avenue and were able to get bubble tea and a tea egg at Infusions Tea,.


While Joanna and I were only able to catch the last ten minutes of Urban Renewal (they close at 6...drat) - we found these great olive green glass goblets and each took a few home. On the way back to the green line, she starts telling me about the poor neurotic/depressed/sad Siamese cat named Gideon she adopted a few weeks ago from the shelter a few weeks ago...poor thing!

6:00 pm - ride the Green line to Hynes, all the while listening to obnoxious first year BU kids brag about their drinking skills ("...and then we just lay down in the grass because it seemed like the right thing to do...but then she puked so I had to get her up. But she fell down again.")

6:30 pm - start walking on Massachusetts Avenue, and decide impulsively to go into Urban Outfitters. I'll be honest--sometimes their indie-poser-expensive-etc. nonsense REALLY gets on my nerves. But at the same time, they usually have some cute stuff in clearance that isn't ridiculously priced. ...and I lucked out. A beautiful gold satin number came home with me...for $30. It is the PERFECT spring orchestra-attending dress.

7:00 pm - take forever to walk across the bridge because I'm shooting pictures of the sunset over the river.



7:30 pm - check on colonies in lab and select several to bring up in liquid media. Mm...

8:15 pm - get home, start washing dishes and new purchases

9:00 pm - start making rice for dinner

9:30 pm - meanwhile, start cleaning outside of suitcases, and fill will newspaper and a bit of baking soda to clean out the smell; riiiice you are taking soooo long

9:45 pm - lament slightly about my shin-splinty legs...but all that walking was worth it!

10:00 pm - rice is done! make "fried rice" with veggies and eggs...mmm...

10:30 pm - make pita chips (secret ingredient = celery seed --- don't use too much, but you won't regret it!)

11:00 pm - chill out with Marie and her boyfriend when they arrive home from the Boston Symphony Orchestra's concert: they loved the pita chips (as well as my tales of almond milk bubble tea), and I loved the bowl they set out for me (almond honey chocolate? um yes please!)


1:00 am - bed! this just feels so much earlier than 2 am. oh wait. because it is.

Plans for tomorrow: working out in the morning (oh my...haven't done that in a while. we'll see how it goes), a batch of M's potato soup for the week, spend lots of time in lab (mini preps, digests, gels, oh my!), pack for the BE retreat, and enjoy the daffodils!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lovely day indeed ... if a bit busy! Thanks for stopping by, lady.

Anonymous said...

Oh my - this sounds so incredibly beautiful and wonderful. There is something about good food, flowers and friends that is the trifecta of awesome for me.

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

it was lovely, beautiful, and wonderful indeed...if only these days happened more often :)

...but since they don't, I'm lucky that I can look back at them and really treasure them.