Sunday, August 1, 2010

August 2010

[it's been a month of reading. From Mists of Avalon to a biography of women of the confederacy to finally perusing The Sartorialist's book to a book about the topographical history of Boston, lying down on my bed with a cold washcloth on my forehead and a book in my hands has occupied many of my evenings. It's just too hot to cook sometimes, it seems]



Inspiration:


from here. VraiFaux makes each ring using wax and makes a casting using bronze and then powdercoats each ring to give it a phenomenally beautiful skeleton.




Math used as art, from Shannon May





Amazing stop motion video --- I can't get enough of the music. (see the behind-the-scenes video here)







Incredible video from the geniuses at Olympus PEN Cameras (via Swissmiss)



My friends. I mean, look at all this food....jalapeƱo cornbread, banoffee pie, empanadas, herb and goat cheese linguine, dueling red and green roast chickens, peanut butter oatmeal cookie sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, sweet corn, kebabs, guacamole...how did I manage to find such good cooks as friends? I live a good life, that's for sure.


Things to look forward to:


--wedding number three this summer! I'm playing horn in the one, which fulfills one of my "Fifty Things in Five Years" goals---and let's just say, there will be some Star Wars, some Copland, a bit of Moreau, and, you know, a couple hymns for good measure.


--more of the anatomy physiology class. Today was the heart dissection, and things went just fabulous. I love teaching.


--Chicago! I'll be taking off for a brief three-day Chicago extravaganza, which currently includes a early-biology-girl breakfast, an evening of concerts, and just seeing friends. Friends are just so wonderful.


--McCormick girls move back in starting August 11th. Freshman orientation begins August 29th. I am excited to meet all the new girls, start a new tradition (tea every night from 10:30-11...I need to get myself into a better routine), more muffins, study breaks, and having people over for visits.


--Shakespeare in the Park here in Boston Common


--Going to the cabin. Since my mom will be visiting in October, I don't think I'll be going home between now and then...but I just want to go hang out at the cabin and do nothing. I think this would be good for my heart.

No comments: