Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Make Way For Ducklings!

I was a voracious reader as a child, and Make Way for Ducklings and Blueberries for Sal were definite favorites.  While I gave my cousin's kids The 12 Days of Christmas in Minnesota this year, just maybe next year will be the perfect time to give a Boston-themed gift (believe it or not, it's the official children's book of Massachusetts!)

Written by Robert McCloskey in 1941, it tells the story of a family of ducks that make their new home in the Boston Common.  It became such a popular book that statues of the ducks were installed in the common in 1987.  Apparently there is a duckling parade every year on mother's day where little kids dress up as ducks and retrace the duck family's journey around Boston (I am so there).

Saying hello to the ducks in October  (picture courtesy of MK)

2 comments:

Mary Kay Bosshart said...

Oh! I want to go to the Mother's Day duck parade. If you go, please take lots of photos!

Thanks for the mention and the link.

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

I really want to go as well, the pictures that I've seen uploaded are just too darling to be believed.