Sunday, November 15, 2009

...and I will never carry five liters of vodka home ever again.

And you thought that I couldn't start a post with something so ridiculous. Oh yes. But indeed-- booze is much heavier than cereal. The things you learn having to walk a mile to get groceries.

Anyways, this is hereby known as the first post commemorating that I did something on my fifty things in five years list! Hoo-rah!

Last weekend, I made 45 bottles of vanilla extract. With 90 vanilla beans (thanks ebay!), beautiful amber bottles (from Specialty Bottle Company), and 5 liters of good old Svedka. And a funnel.



When I saw a post about making your own vanilla, I thought it'd be fun. Yes, I know you can buy it in the store...but sometimes it's all about the experience. And the fact that it's, oh, about $10 per bottle.

My totals:

vodka: $66.00
organic vanilla beans: $45.00
bottles: $19.00
total: $129.00 (per 4 ounce bottle total: $2.89)


The basic steps are cutting the vanilla beans in half horizontally and then vertically, putting about 8 pieces in each jar, filling each jar with vodka, and then tightly sealing with the provided cap.

The process went well, with the added side effect of my hands smelling vanilla for two days. Mmm... now, to wait the six months before they are at full vanilla goodness....

Edit: comment from my mom: "I think you are a bit psycho for making your own vanilla, but I will be curious how it turns out."

6 comments:

Rachel said...

This sounds AMAZING. Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll be curious what you think of the taste...is it worth it?

Kyle said...

A great idea...if they all turn out well! :-)

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

I will definitely update everyone with the taste after six months - I'm excited to see how it compares as well!

Emily said...

Fantastic! I never thought to look to eBay for vanilla beans - I've been looking for inexpensive ones to make homemade Kahlua and/or amaretto - but that looks like a great option.

Can't wait to hear how your vanilla turns out! :)

Anonymous said...

This is SO cool, and I can't wait to see how it turns out! xo

bethany actually said...

Thanks for the link! I've been using homemade vanilla for almost a year now and I'm quite happy with the flavor. :-) I hope yours turns out as well!