Monday, June 7, 2010

Farmer's market 6.7.10

I nearly jumped with joy when I saw kohlrabi at the farmer's market today. I mean, strawberries do make me very excited....but nothing beats a crisp kohlrabi with a bit of salt and pepper on a hot day. The little boy at the next stand over was also selling veg-eh-tah-bllls. He did not agree with my pronouncement that kohlrabi were delicious.

"But, have you ever tried one? You can't say you don't like something if you haven't tried it!"

"Nuh-uh. I don't like it."

His father looked at me, and I know this argument had been tried before. Too bad. Cause he is missing out.

The tally:

-Kohlrabi (raw. Although apparently you can cook it? I don't think I'll ever gravitate away from just cutting it up and mixing a bit of salt and pepper on a plate and dipping)

-Golden beets (to practice savory and sweet beet salad recipes for Midsommar)

-Rhubarb (my grandma's famous rhubarb dessert! recipe to be posted tomorrow...with a picture!)

-Strawberries (breakfast tomorrow. All one quart that I bought. Because I can.)

-Lettuce (the first bit eaten tonight with cucumbers and a peanut noodle dressing I make up with peanut butter, plum vinegar, powdered sugar and soy sauce. Oh--and scallions. Can't forget the scallions!)


This morning was a bit sad, though...I came home from the gym to see the giant tree in my window being cut down. I used to have a beautiful view of the brick of Ashdown seen the very green branches of a tree....now I just have brick and construction. They tore down all three trees in the courtyard---and I'm just sad about it. I mean, I'm sure they have plans to plant new trees once Ashdown construction is over, but I'm quite sure I won't be living here by the time another tree is four stories tall, happily giving me some green to look at.

2 comments:

Rachel M. Slough said...

What are your ratios (or approximate measurements) on the salad dressing? This all sounds so delicious!

Bridget said...

Hmm. This might not turn out so well...but I'll try!

--big scoop of peanut butter (can be crunchy or creamy)

--a few splashes of soy sauce

--a few splashes of either plum or rice vinegar

Mix together with a fork (whisk) -- add powdered sugar to taste (three small spoons ish?)

It's hard because some people like their sauce a little salty, some much sweeter, some very thick, some very thin (just thin it out with water)...just play around with things and go for it!