Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ice cream reads

I've been investigating ice cream from all angles lately; from a very technical book designed for an ice cream manufacturer to some lovely recipe books, it's a very summery topic!

Ice cream: the delicious history by Marilyn Powell
I honestly didn't like how this one was written...I had very high hopes, and yes, there was lots of information included, but it was an odd amalgamation of facts and personal stories and simply weren't all that organized.  It didn't help that it was one of those smaller books with a long aspect ratio, so it was annoying to read. 

The science of ice cream by Chris Clarke
Let's just say this is the kind of book with phase diagrams and schematics of fat droplet coalescence. 

Of sugar and snow: a history of ice cream making, by Jeri Quinzio
I preferred this to the other option, but the commonality of "no one really knows when ice cream was invented" definitely annoys me.  I prefer facts to abject speculation.  And apparently reading recipes books and actually making ice cream is far preferable to the history, at least for me.

The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz
Chocolate raspberry ice cream with four ingredients (raspberries, cocoa powder, sugar, cream) was definitely a winner.  He focuses on mostly egg-based ice creams, which I tend not to like as much, but there were definitely some great ideas in there.

Ciao Bella Sorbet, by FW Pearce and Denilo Zecchin
Consistently one of favorites at the Scooper Bowl, I was really excited to read about their methods!  Their gelato is simply pureed fruit plus simple syrup, with the additional liberal use of strainers to make their frozen concoctions even smoother.  I can't wait to try making one! 

Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery, by Kris Hoogerhyde, Anne Walker, and Dabney Gough
I included this since it's on my list but I'm still waiting for a copy from the library--but from all my research, it looks like it will have some wonderful options!


Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, by Jeni Britton Bauer
I'll be honest, I've become addicted to the Jeni method, which uses cream cheese and cornstarch to thicken the ice cream instead of eggs.  It's just so good and creamy.  Mom requested butter pecan for her trip, and I made Jeni's version with bourbon, and wow.  So good.

No comments: