Saturday, March 30, 2013

Ramen night at Uni

After the BSO, my brother and I walked back down Mass Ave and stopped at Clio for drinks and their sashimi bar Uni's amazing late-night ramen specials.  We put in our name for a table around 10:30pm, and enjoyed reading through the book of a bar list, finally narrowing down our choices to whiskey for him, and gin for me:
(thanks to Grubstreet for the cocktail list!)

The Boomerang
Rittenhouse rye, Dolin vermouth, housemade Swedish Punsch, bitters, lemon juice
(hey, it's Dolin vermouth again!   And Swedish punsch is spices and rum, and simply lovely)

Army Navy
Bombay, lemon juice, orgeat syrup, crushed ice
(I adore the almond and orange flower taste of orgeat, so this was perfect for me!)

We were seated around 11:15 into the cozy 20-seat section of the restaurant - and were immediately greeted by the cardboard menus:

IMG_6754

We both went for a bowl of traditional ramen, the shishito peppers with bonito flakes, and pork buns.  And wow.  Delicious.  The ramen had this wonderful umami taste, with a runny egg in the broth that added a pleasant creaminess.  Obviously, I've never been hungover in Japan at 2am, but this is totally what I would imagine eating.

And, of course, upon seeing that they serve a singapore sling in a scorpion bowl, I had to go for it.  There is nothing like having a bowl of something scarlet and boozy with a fire in the center being brought to your table! 

Singapore Sling
Beefeater, Cherry Heering, pineapple juice, lime juice, triple sec, Benedictine, grenadine, bitters

And I was so happy with the flaming punchbowl that when we left for the night, I went back up to the bar to thank the bartender, and the guys sitting there asked, "Wait, hey, that was the one with the fire?!"  I laughed, "You just wish you were me!"

No comments: