Monday, September 29, 2014

What a week....

This past week was a struggle.  Not one of the favorite weeks.  Nope, not at all. 

Monday, my eyes hurt...and urgent care said, okay, you have to go get checked out, we don't mess around with eyes.  I was then diagnosed with iritis, a painful inflammation of the iris of your eye that's accompanied by the oh-so-pleasant symptoms of severe sinus pain, light sensitivity, and a swollen eyeball.  No joke. 


So, Monday evening, I spent the night loaded up on steroid eye drops and tylenol, trying to work on my committee meeting update.  At 10 pm at night, I sat on my bed with my laptop, shades closed, sunglasses on, computer on the lowest brightness.  I looked (and felt) like a wreck.


Tuesday, after my evening rehearsal for the MIT Symphony, I find out that one of our members had passed away.  

She was 19.  A sophomore.  Heart-breaking.

Wednesday, a family health thing came up. 

Thursday, my eyes were finally feeling better, but then the nervousness was really starting to set in.  

But...things were starting to look up.  My friend Emily dropped by with some flowers given to her that she couldn't keep because of her kitties back at her apartment, the autumn ones pictured first in the post.  I got six emails from friends cheering me on.  I could do this.



Friday was my committee meeting.  I've been on pins and needles lately, trying to figure out graduation timing and research progress.  It's been a long summer, one where I made the conscious decision not to take a vacation in order to get closer to finishing, and this was the day that would tell me if that sacrifice was worth it.  I was so glad for that meeting to be over.

I came home to flowers from my family back home, crazy bright and happy!  That evening, I hosted a study break for my girls with 10 pints of Ben and Jerry's ice cream and the movie Grease.  It was just what I needed, oh yes. 

No comments: