Thursday, June 25, 2009

Amelia Bedelia moment

I remember hearing about Elgin's Marbles a while back - I had a Greek phase in sixth grade that had me reading copious amounts of historical Greek texts and mythology and wanting to be Athena and pop someone's cap, at least metaphorically speaking (and then I read about her in AP Humanities with Ms. Dahlin, and oh boy does she get down with wars...wow).

Anyways, Elgin's marbles: the gist is that some British guy took some artifacts from Greece and put them in a British museum in the early 1800s, and since then Greece has been crying "We want our marbles back!" Recently, I clicked on a link in my Economist newsletter called Lord Elgin and the Parthenon Marbles - a look at the current tensions between Greece and Britain over these marbles.

Now, in my head, these marbles looked like this:


Marble-shaped, if you well...although more Greek-looking. On columns. From the Parthenon. Made sense to me.

And today, after clicking on that link I find that nooooo....these are statues. Not large spherical things at all.

Duh.

Now if you'll all excuse me, my refrigerator is running, and I need to go catch it.

1 comment:

ashley moe said...

ohhhh thank you so much for that wonderful idea! I didn't even think about French immersion schools..I suppose I didn't think they would exist in the states, especially for elementary level, since everything is spanish nowadays. Thanks!