Thursday, July 18, 2013

Makeup Lesson at Sarra Boston

Grad school and making it to my late 20s has seen what I wear and how I look change dramatically (really?  yes, world, yes.  late 20s, own it).  I wore contacts almost exclusively in my later high school years, but transitioned to only wearing glasses by my senior year of college because so much of my time was spent in lab.  Policies preventing students from wearing contacts were made specifically for those doing organic chemistry research, as there are some chemicals that can actually burn the plastic in contact lenses to your retina.  Not good.

My wardrobe also became less about skirts, blazers, and heels, and more about jeans/skirts, flats, and tshirts.  As I've noted, my threadless collections really hit it's stride in my final year of college, though it has changed significantly from tshirts to a wardrobe really designed around the fact that hey, I could spill bleach on it, so, I won't wear anything I actually like to work.

Not the happiest way to live, wearing things you don't actually like all that much every day.  And holding on to things that really should be tossed, just because you don't want to buy more things you don't really like.  I can make it through grad school, right?  Right?

And as far as my hair goes, I visit a salon in Harvard Square once a year and almost shamefully tell the stylist, "Just take off six inches."

"Really?  Are you sure you don't want layers?  And where is your hair parted?"

"Well, I have to wear my hair out of my face every day for work in a lab, so I never wear my hair down and with a part.  So yes, no layers.  Thanks, though."

And makeup?  Well, I haven't really worn it at all since high school theater.  After a semester in college and finally giving my skin a break from cheap caked-on makeup, I was surprised to see my skin clear up dramatically.  I became incredibly protective of my new-found pretty skin, and more than a bit gun-shy about makeup.

But, while I haven't spent money on makeup in years, I spend a fortune on Roche Posay SPF60 face sunscreen from France ($12/ounce), and baby my skin with expensive Origins products.  Because my face is something that even in lab, everyone sees.  And I have some pride.  Right?  Even with my bleach-stained Toms and not-quite-fit-right skirts, I'm still me. 

And that's why I decided to spend $180 on a makeup lesson at Sarra in the South End. Keep in mind, this goes towards $100 in products that you buy through them, a 90 minutes first lesson, and a 60 minute refresher.  It is worth every penny.   There's a reason Sarra is the only place on Yelp I've ever seen get five stars.  It's because they're great. 

IMG_7891
Before (wow.  it's amazing what great during-the-day lighting can do to bring out hazel eyes!)

IMG_7892
Working her magic  (oof, I really should have fixed my hair before getting prettied up)

IMG_7895
Taking notes

 IMG_7898
After--- she did a pink lip after just slabbing on concealer!  I had no idea you could just...do that! And my eyes, look at them go!  The key is blending.  Blend, blend, blend.

I ended up typing up the whole set of instructions (engineer, sorry) ---and while I'm no professional yet, I can honestly say I'm getting way better at the whole makeup thing. 

IMG_7902
The lovely, ever-patient, and genuine Sadie. Such a sweetheart!

When I was trying to find if Sadie had a personal page out there to link to, this is what I found:


I think the take-home message of this is that I don't do anything halfway...I don't wear makeup for years and years, and then I take lessons from the Best of Boston makeup artist.  If I'm going to do something, I'm going to do it right.

So--thank you to Sadie for finally getting me to buy a tube of mascara, helping me through my fear of toner, and teaching me to blend my eyeshadow like crazy.  You're amazing. 

6 comments:

Aimee said...

Honestly, the price seems worth it just to have a professional find your right shade of foundation.

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

Actually, we talked about this, and one of things she mentioned is that our skin tones tend to vary throughout the year, after sun exposure, all that, so she keeps a couple shades for herself, a "regular" plus one darker and one lighter and blends them together to suit.

Mary Kay Bosshart said...

You're beautiful - both before and after!

Fortunately, Sadie did a much better job on you than when I mistakenly agreed to have my makeup done at the Chanel counter at one of the department stores in Boston.

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

Thanks, Mary Kay!

Yeah, you have to be wary of makeup counters, sometimes the artists are great and sometimes they are distinctly...not.

It's funny, my mom actually prefers the before, but I do wish I had taken one close up with my glasses. It's odd, I look fine in glasses close up, both in real life and in photos, but in all the photos that are a bit farther away, I tend to look a little bit, well, angry, I guess? I think it's the thicker and darker rims, plus having my eyebrows shaped making everything a bit more angular. I think she just prefers me smiling and looking the way I look, ha.

But yes, while the light pink lip wasn't exactly my thing, it was really cool to see the technique, especially in the vein of how to fix something if the color just isn't turning out right. Apparently, this is one of the best tricks for getting a really bright red to work. Do the nude lips first, then layer on the scarlet.

Anonymous said...

LOVE! Thank you for the link, Bridget. The before/after is great, and you look gorgeous! The makeover suits you perfectly :)

Ena said...

I did my make-up lesson
from Lina Cameron and she is really awesome. She is so caring and teach really well. Its really true,taking lesson from a good makeup artist is really necessary if you want to take makeup lesson.