Saturday, December 21, 2013

Thanksgiving 2013

Thanksgiving this year started with the baking of the pies -- because it's not Thanksgiving unless there are at least eight pies on the table. 

IMG_2925

IMG_2929

IMG_2932
Egg wash and sugar.  You cannot beat that.

IMG_2933

IMG_2937

IMG_2955
(top upper left, moving clockwise) 
Cranberry apricot, strawberry rhubarb, pumpkin, apple with pecan streusel, pecan, pumpkin, blueberry, double crust apple.  

Every year, my pies look a bit better.  Egg washes are key, and I've got to troubleshoot the pumpkin pie recipe in these pyrex dishes.  That, and make more of the pecan filling, add more tapioca to the strawberry rhubarb, and more filling to the cranberry pie (can you tell I like a generously filled pie?).  The other fun that I had was braiding one of the crusts (it's the dutch apple in the upper right).  That plus a turkey-shaped cookie cutout of the crust made it look quite festive!

IMG_2958
Look at that bird. 

IMG_2960

IMG_2973
The spread!

IMG_2978
Thirty students came for the festivities, bringing such potluck items as pasta, dumplings, and potato chips.


IMG_2983
 It's time for pie!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Amazing as usual, Bridget! Can you post the link to the post where you show/tell about your pie planning spreadsheet? (I gotta make sure I get my facts straight when I rave to my food people about your incredibly orchestrated feat)

bridgetwhoplaysfrenchhorn said...

Here's the link for you! :)