Thursday, May 31, 2012

May Reads

  
Small Green Roofs, by Edmund Snodgrass
A gift from my uncle and aunt (the ones with chickens, a horse, a dog and cats, plus the best garden ever) -- some really cool case studies of different ways houses and businesses incorporate plants into architectural decisions. 

Songs for the Missing, by Stewart O'Nan
I started this one but did not finish it.  I find that sad books about missing children depress me terribly; and I just didn't want to finish it.  So I didn't.

Pegasus, by Robin McKinley
Now, I was really angry at the end of this one...it was a terribly abrupt and frustrating way to see all the characters I'd grown to really love just leave.  And of course, it was around 11pm at night, my computer was already off, and I couldn't check if there was a sequel.  The next morning, it was the first thing I did, and thank goodness, there's a sequel coming out, in 2014.  And as luck would have it, I realized that there are several other older books of hers that I haven't read, so I have some options to check out from the youth fiction section at the Boston Public Library.  (and yes, I do love youth fiction, even now.  I really do like adult fiction as well, but there's something so escapist about the books I would have read as a young girl.  And truth be told, there's less sex.  I think adult writers lean on that angle too often.  You have to work harder if that part of the story simply isn't there.)

 The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, by MT Anderson
The point of view is interesting, I'll give you that.  It's set in Revolutionary War Boston, and it tells a completely different story than I expected.  Yet, it's not the happiest of books.  Beware.

No comments: