Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Boston Visitors

This semester is shaping up to be full of people crashing at my place. I love it. Last year, E came to audition for grad schools, P came and we had delicious Toscannini's, L came twice (!) for Green Corps, and this year will bring many visitors as well.

In early January, R came for a librarian conference. We had an early breakfast at my place and wandered around MIT for awhile, which is, I gotta say, ripe for people-watching. Or tourist-watching.

Next is S and S, two senior biology students from IWU who are making the trek to Boston to interview at the veterinary school at Tufts. They'll be crashing on my floor, and we'll get to do a bit of sight-seeing.

March brings my brother (ee!! so excited!). He's going to be here for my orchestra concert, after which will be my birthday party (24 years old. Phew. I just got used to saying I was 23!). The menu? Deep fried corn fritters and beer. Yes. And maybe some sort of palate-cleansing salad thing...maybe. Then we're going to see the Boston Symphony Orchestra with Hilary Hahn on Saturday, Sunday is the St. Patrick's Day Parade in the South End PLUS Pi day (practically a holiday at MIT), Monday involves a lab trip to Brookline Family Restaurant for shawarma and then some sight-seeing, Tuesday is a labmate's birthday celebrated after lab meeting at the Cambridge Brewing Company, and Wednesday is a pub crawl for th' Irish.

April brings these cool ladies here:


1305 Roosevelt represent! Gustavo Dudamel is conducting a masterclass with the MIT Symphony, and he's enough of a rockstar to bring all my friends here to Boston. There will be coco-moting, Punjabi Dhaba (sorry Puran---you're just too far away!) and seeing the grave of Mother Goose (at which point Margo will try and remember a mother goose poem and end up talking about cheese). It'll be a weekend full of memories.

May brings another IWU friend, J, this one a cellist whom I love for her rendition of Julio:



(this isn't her...but I love this song. I used to beg her to play it for me!)

Other potential visits include my mom (hi mom!), a friend from waaaay back who is now a professor up in Maine, A, and maybe even S after her boards for med school! (K is going to Ireland with her family - lucky girl!)

...also, if you are reading this and not on this list, think about it! I love guests and visitors, and my place is really close to the action. I also have an extra key, so if you want to extend your break to the week, you can go exploring while I work during the day and I can meet up with you in the evening.

No comments: