Sunday, September 30, 2012

September reads

Bloodhound: The Legend of Beka Cooper, Book 2, by Tamora Pierce
I am incredibly gratified of the author's treatment of somewhat taboo issues in young adult literature; she deals with transsexuals, birth control, premarital sex, torture...all without it being too obvious that she is making the reader think about their opinions on the matter.  I wholeheartedly approve. 

The Education of Mrs. Bemis, by John Sedgwick
I love the Boston connection, but again with the predictability.  It just felt like I knew exactly what was going to happen next.

Educating Waverly, by Laura Kalpakian
Interesting connections between lives, that's for sure.  But a little on the depressing side, and the ending was incredibly abrupt.

Memories of My Melancholy Whores, by Gabriel García Márquez
A strange fable about the puppy love between the ninety-year old narrator and a 14 year old prostitute.  

The Seven Towers, by Patricia Wrede
I grew up loving her writing (so snappy!) and I was surprised to see that I had never read this one before--a quick read with an old fashioned conflict --think Game of Thrones without the sex and violence, and snappy, funnier dialogue.

No comments: